History 


Sheridan Theater named to DC Preservation League's 2007 
"Most Endangered" List

Sheridan Theater in Brightwood
6201 Georgia Avenue, NW

Nominated by: Brightwood Community Association

Designed by world-renowned “Architect of Dreams” John Eberson, 
the Sheridan Theater opened in 1937.  Today, the theater is a discount store.  

C
lick
here for more information (see page 7).


As the home of Washington DC's only Civil War battlefield and site of early settlement by the capital's free African-Americans, the Brightwood neighborhood features historical treasures to be explored and preserved:

Fort Stevens: Civil War Battlefield
13th and Quackenbos Streets, NW

President Abraham Lincoln came under enemy fire while viewing Civil War fighting on July 12, 1864 as Confederate General Jubal Early approached Washington from the north. It was the only time in our nation‘s history when a sitting President came under fire during battle.  Please join us in July for the annual celebration of "Fort Stevens Day," presented by the National Park Service/Rock Creek Park. 
Click here for 2006 event photos!

Battleground National Cemetery
6625 Georgia Ave, NW

In the aftermath of the battle of Fort Stevens, which claimed over 900 lives, 41 of the Union soldiers who fought and died were interred in a cemetery dedicated by Abraham Lincoln. Battleground National Cemetery, located one-half mile north of Fort Stevens, is just one acre in size and one of the Nation's smallest national cemeteries.

African-American Heritage

Courtesy of www.culturaltourismdc.org


As early as the 1820s, free African Americans settled in a community called Vinegar Hill near the intersection of today's Georgia and Missouri avenues, NW, an area now known as Brightwood. By the time of the Civil War (1861-1865), most were landowners, and the majority of these were women. During the Civil War, a military fort was built within Vinegar Hill that repulsed the only Confederate attack on the District of Columbia. 

Military Road SchoolMilitary Road School
1375 Missouri Avenue, NW
The Military Road School opened in 1864 on this site in a wood frame former Fort Stevens barracks. 



Fort Stevens

13th and Quackenbos Streets, NW
Fort Stevens was built in 1861 on land partially owned by Elizabeth Thomas, a free woman of color and a farmer.Fort Stevens
 
 


Emory United Methodist Church

6100 Georgia Avenue, NW
Founded in 1832, the church served as a hospital and barracks during the Civil War. 



George M. Lightfoot Family Residence

1329 Missouri Avenue, NW
This house is one of the few remaining dwellings from the African American community of Vinegar Hill.

 



FreeSiteDesigner.com